Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day 2014!

This year RY (as usual) bought me a bouquet of red roses and suggested dinner.
I didn't want to spend hours in the long q outside the restaurant, I had declined his offer.

I'll be making his favorite dish, yellow ginger chicken, for tonight's dinner.

I've no gift for my love, so I've made this Garrett (copy cat version) caramel popcorn for him since he loves the Garrett very much.

My copy cat Garrett caramel popcorn recipe:
Popcorn 
100g corn kernel
2 tbsp oil
A handful of peanuts or cashew nuts (I use cashew)

Caramel
50g butter (salted)
A pinch of salt (if use unsalted butter then 1/2 tsp)
80g brown sugar
50g corn syrup
1tsp baking soda

Method
Popcorn
1 Heat up non stick pan (I use Happycall)
2 add oil
3 test the heat by throwing 1 or 2 kernels see if it pops, once pop, add in all (shake/ stir to make sure all coated with oil)
4 when the popping sound stops, pour the popcorn in a baking tray line with parchment paper (remove those unpopped ones)
5 mix in the cashew nuts

Caramel
1 add butter, sugar, syrup, salt in a small saucepan, bring to boil using low heat
2 stir continuously to prevent burnt bottom
3 once big boil, off the fire, add in the baking soda and stir till the foam subsided and the caramel is ready

Baking (heat up oven 150'c)
1 pour the hot caramel over the popcorn and stir till evenly coated
2 bake the popcorn for 5 mins, remove from oven and stir, (repeat another 3 rounds)
3 let it cool down and the Garrett style popcorn is ready







No comments:

Post a Comment