Thursday, December 2, 2010

Earwax is a Pain!

I was "partially deaf" on left ear for the past 2 weeks due to big lumps of earwax build up that blocked the ear canal.

Being partially deaf was really frustrating since I was not able to hear properly to detect danger while I crossed the road; not able to hear properly during work or in restaurant when my queue nos was called; not able to communicate will with friends/ clleagues during lunch since I can only hear my chewing sound and hardly able to hear them talk when I was eating ............. etc

For the 1st 3 days when the earwax build up erupted, I patiently waited for it to come out by its own.
On the 4th day, I went to the pharmacy to get a off the shelve earwax drip - Tropex and drip the solution into my left ear for > 1 weeks.

I waited with 9 days for the earwax to get soften and was hopeful that it'd flow out of its own.
But it didnt happen.
Yesterday, I finally gave up and went to a GP to get it fix!

The doc extracted a big lump from the outer ear and then flush out the balance lumps.Syringing method.
He made me lie on the bed, pulled the external ear up and back, and aiming the nozzle of the syringe slightly upwards and backwards so that the water flows as a cascade along the roof of the canal. The irrigation solution flows out of the canal along its floor, taking wax and debris with it. The solution used to irrigate the ear canal is usually warm water, normal saline,sodium bicarbonate solution, or a solution of water and vinegar to help prevent secondary infection.


He also checked my right ear and managed to extract a dried huge lump of earwax!
Both my ears are really clean now and I definitly can ear very clearly!

Dont under estimate how the earwax can wreck havock to your daily lives.
Care for your ear and remember to seek professional help if it blocks your ear canal and affect your hearing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwax
Explanation on Earwax from Wikipedia:
Earwax, also known by the medical term cerumen, is a yellowish waxy substance secreted in the ear canal of humans and many other mammals. It protects the skin of the human ear canal, assists in cleaning and lubrication, and also provides some protection from bacteria, fungi, insects and water.[1] Excess or impacted cerumen can press against the eardrum and/or occlude the external auditory canal and impair hearing

Cerumen is produced in the outer third of the cartilaginous portion of the human ear canal. It is a mixture of viscous secretions from sebaceous glands and less-viscous ones from modified apocrine sweat glands.[2] The primary components of earwax are shed layers of skin, with 60% of the earwax consisting of keratin, 12–20% saturated and unsaturated long-chain fatty acids, alcohols, squalene and 6–9% cholesterol.[3]


Fear, stress and anxiety result in increased production of earwax from the ceruminous glands

No comments:

Post a Comment