Thursday, October 31, 2013

Orange Scones with Raisin


Today RY will not be back for dinner so I decided to do some baking since I don't have to cook dinner except porridge for baby.

I was wondering what to bake then suddenly recalled that RY bought a lot of oranges which are not sweet to my liking, so instead of throwing them away, I decided to test out this orange scones recipe.

I've done some modification in the recipe.

Ingredient:
All purpose flour 240g (but later I increased to 280g  as I've added too much milk)
Sugar 30g (I don't like too sweet but can add more if want it sweeter)
1 egg lightly beaten (keep little yolk to mix with milk as the egg wash on the scones surface)
Butter 40g
Baking Powder 1 tablespoon but later I added half teaspoon more due to flour increase
Raisin - a cup
1 orange, extract juice and also grate the skin for the zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
Milk moderation (recipe stated 125ml for 350g flour and for 240g flour should be about 85ml but I added 30ml already find it too watery)

Method:
Grease the baking tray to get ready.
Pre heat the oven 190'c
Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar in a bowl, then add in butter using the rubbing in method till it resemble breadcrumbs.
Add raisin and orange zest to the mixture.

In another bowl, beat egg and add into the mixture.
Add orange juice
Add milk in moderation (think I added about 30ml then I realised the mixture was to sticky so I added more flour and baking powder.
Mix all well and make the mixture into a dough.
Roll the dough into 2cm thick on a flat surface (flour dust the surface)
Use cookie cutter to cut the shape.
Use the egg yolk with bit of milk as egg wash on the scones surface

Baking:
Bake 190'c for about 16 to 18 mins or till golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment