Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pandan Chiffon Cake

I've always wanted to bake chiffon cake but was told how tricky and difficult it can be as any mistake made during the preparation or baking processs, the whole cake will be a disaster.

With my new KA mixer, I feel that it's time for me to venture into "Chiffon" baking.

I'm not too receptive in using artificial flavoring so I bought a bunch of fresh pandan leaves to extract the juice with the help of my muscle man - my hubby, RY, since I've don't have the juicer equipment so I need him to do manual squeezing using the bare hand.

Pandan Chiffon Recipe

Pandan Juice Extraction
A bunch of pandan leaves (about 20 to 30 leaves)
Trim away the tip and discard old and dried leaves
Wash and soak leaves till water is clear
Blend with minimum water
Squeeze the juice out
Leave in fridge for over night to get the dark green substance settles.
Use 25g of Pandan juice extracts

Coconut milk 70g (preferably fresh but pasteurized packet from the cold refrigerator section in supermarket is ok)

Mix coconut milk and pandan juice to get 95g total volume of mixture and set aside at room temp

Egg White
180 g egg whites (I used 5 egg whites as my eggs are smaller)
½ tsp cream of tartar
50 g sugar

Egg Yolk
60 g egg yolks (I used4 yolks)
50 g sugar
60 g vegetable oil
¼ tsp salt
100 g cake flour, sifted with baking powder 
1 tsp baking powder

Method (preheat oven 180'c and ensure the lowest rack in the oven is used for the baking, wash and dry a 21cm chiffon tin - ungreased and clean dry tin)

Egg Yolk
1 Mix yolk and sugar in mixer and whip till pale yellow, thick & creamy and ribbon like
2 Add in green coconut mixture mix till evenly incorporated 
3 Add in oil and mix till evenly incorporated
Set aside mixture

Egg White
1 beat egg white till foam like using mixer
2 add in cream of tar tar
3 add in sugar in 3 portion to beat till stiff peak

Cake mixture 
1 add in cake flour sifted with baking powder into the egg yolk mixture and mix till well incorporated with no traces of flour
2 fold in egg white into the egg yolk mixture in 3 batches
3 lift up bowl and hit few times to release air bubbles
4 gradually pour the mixture into the chiffon in
5 use a chopstick to run around the edge of the tin to release more air bubbles
6 even out the surface

Baking
1 place chiffon tin I the oven bake for 15 mins
2 use a baking tray cover the top part of the oven to prevent upper heat to brown the cake surface fast and bake for 22 mins
3 remove the cover and continue to bake for another 10 mins
4 remove from oven and invert the whole chiffon ton upside down to cool the whole tin (cake inside the tin) for min 1 hour
5 when cake is completely cook, run a sharp knife around the tin edge to remove the cake



No comments:

Post a Comment